Miss Pakistan World 2008, Natasha Paracha on ABC Good Morning America

Natasha Paracha on Talk Show Red Eye Fox News

Natasha Paracha, Miss Pakistan World 2008 on CNN

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Miss Pak’s inspiration? Sush!

Photo by Wali Portraits



The current Miss Pakistan World, Natasha Paracha, is into crossovers. Yes, we mean the movies. And Bollywood. Filmmakers from this side of the border are quite keen to have Natasha work in their films, but “it’s too early to divulge their names,” says Natasha, because “talks are still on.” But that’s not her only career plan.


This New York-based lass works as a director of communication in the UN. And since she is in the States, she’ll be meeting the Bachchans when they go there for their Unforgettables Tour. “I’m really looking forward to meeting the whole family,” she says. But while Ash rates highly on her list, Sush is her favourite beauty queen. “I can identify with her and the work she’s doing. That she’s proving to be such a good mother to her adopted daughter is inspiring,” says Natasha. Becoming a beauty queen will give her a platform to show the world that Pakistani women have it in them to “become leaders and role models”, she says, while Bollywood will help achieve her “childhood dream”. “I’ve grown up watching Hindi films. In fact, that’s how I learnt to dance,” smiles Natasha, who remembers meeting Hrithik Roshan a few years earlier. “That was thrilling! I shook hands with him and was so happy for days together!”


Natasha says her parents are “very happy” with her decision. “But the roles I do must be substantial and interesting, like the one that Katrina Kaif did in Namastey London.” And she promises she’ll get rid of her Katrina-like accent. “I’m not worried about that because when I talk in my mother tongue, there’s no trace of it. My parents have made sure that we speak Urdu at home and not English,” she laughs.


“I’d be really happy if I can start with a good film that’s a joint venture between India and Pakistan,” she adds. But while “doing meaningful roles” is high on her list, Natasha’s taking her role as beauty queen seriously. She’ll soon be off to Pakistan for the “Plant a Village programme and to promote causes” close to her heart. “I’m also looking forward to meeting my grandparents there,” she enthuses.