Miss Pakistan World 2008, Natasha Paracha on ABC Good Morning America

Natasha Paracha on Talk Show Red Eye Fox News

Natasha Paracha, Miss Pakistan World 2008 on CNN

Monday, July 14, 2008

Natasha Paracha: Miss Pakistan World 2008"working towards issues facing our society"

Natasha Paracha, 23 years, a resident of New York, from Islamabad, Pakistan, was crowned 6th Miss World Pakistan 2008 on May 23 at an evening filled with great entertainment, elegance, glamour and style at the Versailles Convention Centre in Mississauga.

Natasha was born in Islamabad, Pakistan in 1984 and moved to the United States with her family.

The new Miss Pakistan World, Natasha Paracha, is an honours graduate from the University of California, Berkley and is currently living in New York City. Paracha founded both the Pakistani Student Association at UC Berkley as well as a non-profit organization NGO – Vision of Development. Her non-profit organization was founded after visiting villages in rural Pakistan and recognizing the need for basic resources and opportunities. Vision of Development works to implement basic educational programs as well as tools to empower women throughout rural Pakistan. Her goal over the next year is to represent Pakistan while bringing about awareness that in today’s climate, 51 million Pakistani’s do not have the adequate access to medical and urgent care.

Below are her answers to questions that Globalom Media's correspondent, Leena Chabra, asked her:

GM: When you were crowned Miss Pakistan World 2008 what was your first reaction and feeling? How do you feel now with the pageant over?
NP: I was very excited and overwhelmed. I am relieved that the pageant was successful, but now I want to focus on the year ahead with Miss Earth and other endeavours.

GM: How did you get involved with the pageant?

NP: I have always been very involved with the fashion industry in Los Angeles and New York. I saw Miss Pakistan World as the perfect opportunity to get involved internationally.

GM: Did you face any barriers that you had to overcome especially from family in entering the Miss Pakistan contest?

NP: My family, friends, and the community have been very supportive of my participation in Miss Pakistan World. It has actually opened new doors and opportunities for me.

GM: What are your goals and aspirations?

NP: I hope to become a leader and role model for young women in Pakistan and abroad. I want to be able to look back and know that I have made a difference.

GM: What advise do you have for other Pakistani girls who would like to enter the pageant but face challenges from family and society?

NP: I would advise young Pakistani girls to follow their dreams and be a leading example in every aspect of their life. If a person is strong in character and confident, limitations are obsolete.

GM: Given, the heavy influence of Bollywood in the Western countries, who would you say that you associate yourself with and why? Is there anyone that you idiolize?

NP: Indian cinema is one of the leading entertainment industries in the world. Each actor in the industry has their own style that they portray on and off the screen. I think individuality is what makes the industry so diverse and well recognized throughout the world. I also feel that individuality is what makes a person shine, therefore I feel it is important not to try to become or mimic someone else. I have always valued being my own person.

GM: Do you see the Pakistanis in Pakistan accepting and hosting Pageants in Pakistan?

NP: I feel that Pakistan is a thriving and open-minded culture. Hosting pageants such as Miss Pakistan will help the economy and tourism in or nation.

GM: How do you intend to use your title to the benefit of Pakistani women, in particular, and public, in general?

NP: I want to use this year as Miss Pakistan World to work towards issues facing our society today. I want to promote the issues of women's rights, education for all children, and development in rural areas of Pakistan. With the help of media in Pakistan and Internationally, I hope to make these problems public knowledge and gain popular interest in such issues.

GM: Living and studying in the U.S. do you consider yourself a true representation of a Pakistani girl in Pakistan?

NP: The United States is a melting pot of cultures, traditions, and values. I am proud to say that even though I currently reside in the United States for my work with the United Nations, I am a born Pakistani. My goals here in the U.S. are to promote Pakistan on an international sphere as much as possible. I have been able to travel to Pakistan during the summer and winter months to work in the rural regions in Pakistan.

GM: Given the title of Miss Pakistan World 2008 where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years?

NP: As Miss Pakistan World, I hope to continue my ambassadorship in respects to Pakistan. I hope to build my foundation to a greater level- Vision of Development and provide sustainable housing and development in the villages of Pakistan.